Monday, January 31, 2011

My training schedule!

Here is my training schedule from now until the race: I found this offline and really didn't know what to look for when searching! As I said, I have been running for about twelve years. However, I usually do a 5 mile loop where I walk down my street in the beginning and end so about 4.25-4.5 miles I would say is spent running. This is the first time I have attempted a longer race, so in some ways I am a beginner, but not a beginner to running. I found this race schedule on About.com.

This was the "description" that I thought would fit where I was as a runner...

You've already run at least one half-marathon (13.1 miles) road race, or you've done a 5K or a 10K and you're ready to race a half-marathon. If the beginner runner half-marathon schedule seems too easy or the intermediate half-marathon schedule seems too challenging, try this 12-week advanced beginner half-marathon schedule. This schedule is geared toward runners who can run 4 miles comfortably and can run 4 to 5 days per week.


Training Schedule: I started at week 3 since I only had 9 weeks.

Looking back, I probably could have attempted the intermediate half-marathon schedule. Actually, maybe I take a look at this and try a few of the things.

Anyways, I learned a lot about how I train from this article. For example:

1. It was great to read that I should allow myself to take "REST" days without feeling guilty.
2. I learned what a "active recovery day" was, and that it is important to run at a slower pace the days after the race to loosen your muscles.

I read in a different article it's good to walk for 5 minutes before and after the race to kind of warm up, so I have been doing that as well. Also, I try a variety of stretches AFTER I run, which feels great!

No comments:

Post a Comment