Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Past Race Recaps!

I have completed one 5k and two 10k's (and loved all of them).   


Standard Chartered Bangkok Marathon 2009- My first race was a 10k in BANGKOK, THAILAND. That's right! I lived in Bangkok, Thailand for two years after I graduated from college. This was my first race and my only goal was to run the entire thing, which I did! I can honestly say this is one of the best experiences of my life. It was my second year living in Bangkok and I was really familiar with the city, the people, the customs. The race ran over a bridge and past temples and monks in the early morning walking around, barefoot in their orange robes. I saw the sunrise over the bridge in Bangkok, the weather was perfect and the race ended with a medal and MCDONALDS! That's right, we got McDonald hamburgers and cheeseburgers. I don't even remember my time, but I loved every minute of it. I would love to return back to Bangkok to compete in the half marathon. This truly was the race of a lifetime! I wore a orange lululemon slipless headband, white/ hot pink/ and black running shorts from Victoria Secret and the Bangkok Marathon shirt we received upon registration!


First Running Medal!
4 or 5 AM
Shirt!
The Next Level 2010 Stamp Out Cancer Run/ Walk 5k- This was a 5k at my local gym. I wasn't a member at the time, but my cousins were. It was really fun! It started at the gym and ended at a local park where Next Level set up a BBQ with hot dogs, hamburgers (why do they also serve hamburgers after my runs!?), salad, fruit, and gatorade/ water! It was fun because it was pretty small, and they put a lot of effort into it after. It was really fun because my mom, dad and cousins all participated! They all walked and I ran, but nonetheless it was a blast. I bought my lululemon inspire crop for this run, along with a top that I'm not that crazy about (also from lululemon)- it's not on the website right now but I kind of look like a giant bubble bobbling along in it. I remember it was a beautiful day, even though it was the end of summer and it was a great time! I don't know what my time was, but I was one of the fastest girls running. Most of the people walked it however :) You can see how it looks below on the next race recap (I wore the exact same outfit). We also got a hot green t-shirt with this race, however I took one in X-Large and gave it to my dad's best friend who travels with! I don't have any pictures from this event :( 


10K Run Wild for the Detroit Zoo-  Sunday, September 19, 2010. I wore the exact same outfit I wore for the Next Level run, along with a black Satin Pirouette from lululemon. I love this headband! It doesn't MOVE throughout the entire run, the inside stays on your hair and you can adjust the sizes. I definitely recommend this headband for $12, I wear mine all the time! I own a few different headbands from there that I like, but this is definitely one of my favorites. In my age group I came in 16th out of 65 runners and my time was 52:28 with a pace of 8:27. The weather was beautiful and my dad also ran the race, his time was 1:09:07 with a pace of 11:08. We had a great time and then spent the afternoon at the Zoo. My favorite exhibit is the Polar Bear exhibit at the Detroit Zoo, but unfortunately they were not very active that afternoon. The sweatshirt I have on after the run is also from lululemon, and it's a sweatshirt hoodie with a sweater material on the top and hood. I don't really like it that much however, the hood is really heavy because it's a sweater material and I feel like I'm choking in it. The race was a blast however, they handed out cereal, chewy bars, bananas and water at the end. (Can you believe no hamburgers?) My dad and I both ate access bars before the run. We packed some fruit, bread and hummus packets for after the run before entering the Zoo, because I think the food court at the Zoo doesn't really have any healthy options. I also drank a Melaleuca Sustain packet in the orange splash flavor. For 1 packet there are 30 calories, 0g fat, 7g Carbs and 0g Protein. They come in easy packets or a container. My favorite flavor is the Ruby Red Grapefruit, however it came out after this race! The benefits of drinking this after a race are for the electrolytes which are important because:

  • Help maintain proper muscle function
  • Help ensure proper communication between the muscles and brain
  • Support energy and water absorption into the body
T-shirts for the run, I didn't wear mine during.
Start!
My dad and I after the race!
Finish!
The Polar Bear Exhibit without the bears swimming around :( 
The heavy hood
The front of a not so favorite sweatshirt 


No comments:

Post a Comment