Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Let it snow! Packing for a Marathon, lululemon style!

So we didn't exactly have the "blizzard" I was expecting. We got around 5-8 inches of snow last night, however it's still snowing now. The best part about a snow day is definitely the night before, but I woke up early today like a little kid knowing I had the day off!
Outside my bedroom window!
Last night I came across a blog on lululemon for "your destination marathon checklist"

You can find the blog here.

Here are the things they recommended for the race: (I am editing it, because some of it was OBVIOUS)


  1. Shoes- DUH, however I do agree NOT to wear new shoes, use the ones you've been training in. 
  2. Athletic Socks- What you've been training in. (I wear lululemon Featherweight socks, however I am thinking of ordering a pair of the lululemon- Ultimate Running Sock
  3. Two or three race outfits- It says to pack because the weather could misbehave, and also it's not a good time to break in that great new gear. With that being said, I decided I am going to buy my outfit for the race, and wear it on my last 12 mile run in about two weeks, to make sure it works out!
  4. Hydration- I am considering buying a belt. I don't want to lose any time running to the water stations if they are going to be crowded, if I can have my own. I don't think I will like holding a water bottle, this is something I am going to look into.
  5. Fuel- They mention pockets for gels, which I have never tried. Again, I think I am going to buy these beforehand to try on my 12 mile run in a few weeks to see if I prefer this or a straight up access bar during the run for energy. Again, I will do some research on this.
  6. Disposable layers- I knew this, however this is a fun fact- volunteers collect the layers you throw during the race and donate them to charity. This being said, I don't mind wearing a long sleeve that I can throw after the starting line, knowing it won't just be thrown away.
  7. Race belt- I bought my dad one, however I have never tried it so I can't review it. I am thinking of bringing his, and then looking at the expo for one!
  8. Lubrication- My best friend Sarah gave me a glide deodorant stick, I will probably buy another one just in case.
  9. Tunes, comfortable headphones & a charger- I will need to create the PERFECT playlist! Again, I think I will try to make it before my long run, make sure I LOVE all the songs, and then NOT listen to it again until the race. I have a Ipod, however I am thinking of investing in different headphones. I will research this later, before picking out a pair.
  10. There are some other suggestions like Extra hair elastics, deodorant, sunscreen (sweatproof), a credit or debit card, running hat, sunglasses, heart rate monitor, and last but not least a big smile... I don't feel that I need to comment on these.)
The "Ultimate Running Socks". I think I will buy this color!
I don't know if I will bring a camera or just my phone to take pictures with, but I'll definitely want something! This is the Disney Princess Marathon, and from the video it seems EVERYONE dresses up fun! I have a Minnie skirt, however I think it will be kind of annoying to run in. I would like to incorporate some of my Minnie outfit into my run though, still being comfortable.... The ears are from Disney World in Orlando, Florida. The long sleeve leotard is from Fancy Dancer in St. Clair Shores, Michigan. The leggings are SHINY and they are actually from Bangkok, Thailand. The white socks are from Target, and they are in the "girls" section. My shoes are "Madden Girl" from DSW, and last but not least the MINNIE SKIRT is from Tokyo Disney Sea, in Japan. The skirt is actually what inspired the whole outfit, I bought it in Japan last year when I was living in Bangkok and the entire city shut down due to the political protests. I knew I was safe in my apartment, but would be stuck there for the week so I booked a ticket to Tokyo and left a few hours later! It was one of the best "last minute" decisions. I will make a post about my favorite travels one day, but for now I'm more focused on this race!
Halloween 2010!
I bought this bow at Tokyo Disney Sea, in Japan and I might wear this instead of the headband.

I know a lot of people don't take this race "seriously", and it's more of a fun race to dress up and enjoy the scenery- however I want it all! I want to dress up, train and finish with my goal of 2 hours or LESS! 

I have been checking groupon and livingsocial in Orlando to see if any massage specials come up for the day after the race. 

It's time to enjoy some more of my snow day and REST day!




No comments:

Post a Comment