Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dog bite :(

Today I got bit by a dog on a run. I was really excited to explore San Diego on foot, and had a great time doing so for a while. I ran through Little Italy and Balboa Park where my friend Kirk was promoting Hale. and at the end of my run a block away from where I was staying I got nipped. It all happened really fast, I was really unprepared and didn't realize what had happened. I ran past a girl and her dog and suddenly felt a sharp pain on my right side. When I turned around and realized a dog bit me, the owner (a young girl around 15 years old I would guess) said sorry and didn't really know what to do. I also didn't know what to do, but I asked for her phone number and quickly realized she was giving me fake numbers when I would ask her to repeat it and it would be different each time. 

I was on the verge of tears and told her I was going to call the police if she didn't tell me the right number. She kept saying "it's not my dog" and even told me a fake name, so the whole thing was extremely shady. Finally she realized there were numbers on the dog tags so I copied those into my phone and after a few minutes going back and forth she went off. I wish I would have had more time to get more information from the girl, so I could properly check up on the dog and it's medical records. Now I am going back and forth if I should go to the dr. or not. The dog bit through my favorite lululemon running pants and I was bleeding as well. I was pretty shocked after it happened and couldn't help but cry when I got back to the apartment. It was a really long day of my family back home trying to convince me to go get it checked immediately, and not wanting to make a huge deal of it in California. I am  still debating if I am going to get it checked out here in California tomorrow or not. 
With the exception of my dog bite, I had a great time in San Diego. I have been looking forward to this weekend for so long, and was sad to see it come and go so quickly. I loved seeing my San Diego friends (such as Hannah ;) ) I'm back in Hermosa now. If today taught me anything I guess it's to be extremely aware of my surroundings on a run. I am trying to think of a reason this happened, and I am wondering if it is to teach me to be more aware and less fearless- Sometimes I will run across a street just assuming the driver sees me- or assume the dog walker is responsible for their dog. Clearly this is not always the case, and especially in a new surrounding such as Orlando I will need to learn my routes and be comfortable where I am running. Today I didn't know where I was and was a little off guard because of it- while I like running in new territory I will have to be more cautious while doing so. Now I have to decide if I should go to the Dr. or not. I wish I didn't have to deal with this on my "stress free" vacation.  



No comments:

Post a Comment