Thursday, March 17, 2011

Big block of, foam.

I just bought a "foam roller" from Hanson's Running Shop in Grosse Pointe. Yesterday at the end of my 8 miles my hip and knee hurt really bad. I was hoping I would never experience the "running pain" I've heard so much about, but after yesterday's run I knew I had to do something or it would get worse. I tried to go to the chiropractor today, but she wasn't in- so I will try again tomorrow. Instead, I went to Hanson's, explained my problem and was recommended the foam roller. My friend also recommended it to me yesterday, so I was anxious what this piece of equipment would look like. Well, it's not really a piece of equipment at all, it's exactly what it sounds like. A big piece of foam. It looked like packaging in a box, and I couldn't believe it was $20, but if it helps it will be worth it! The runner at Hanson's also showed me a few stretches I can do to help my hip, and advised me not to do a long run until it feels better. I'll see how I feel on Saturday, I am hoping to do my stretches, a chiropractor session, and yoga before then.
The runner at Hanson's also showed me how to use the roller, but I also found a youtube video to demonstrate it.
I have a important phone call in about 15 minutes, then I am anxious to get outside for a 4 mile run. I think I am going to do some strength training today as well. It's St. Patrick's Day, it was a great day at the preschool. The children have been trying to catch the leprechaun all week by writing him letters, and leaving out traps. Today we left small pancakes and a box out, and went outside to play. When we got back in the classroom, it was trashed! There were little green footprints everywhere, chairs knocked over, bites taken out of the pancakes, and even green pee in the small toilet! The kids went wild, and the rest of the morning talked about how they think the leprechaun got in their lunches and took a bite of their sandwich, and how they would attempt to catch him again in the afternoon. This will be my first time in about seven years not going out to "celebrate" it. This year I am perfectly content with rolling my hip on my new foam roller, and going to sleep early to prepare myself for a long weekend of running/ yoga/ and staying on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment