Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's a good day for MUFFINS!

I am still in my hungry sleepy phase :( I really don't know what is going on. I've been waking up about 30 minutes before my alarm clock the last two days as well. After work I went to the Chiropractor today, and expected to run when I got home. I caught up with a few e-mails, and thought about going out in the freezing cold. It was about 35 degrees, and although it was sunny I still felt cold. I ended up laying down for what I thought was going to be a few minutes, but it turned into a hour. I woke up just in time for Yoga and figured I would do that instead again today, since I know I can't go for the next two days. I'm glad I went to yoga, but I'm worried I'm not getting enough running in. I have a few weeks still until the marathon, but I really should be building up mileage and I don't feel as prepared or on track as I was for the half. It's supposed to start to get to the 40s, so I'm hoping the few degrees warmer will push me to get outside! I have no problem running when it's warm out, I really just hate being cold.

Yoga was the "fusion" class I tried a few weeks ago, and I really liked the instructor today. Yoga Shelter is located on top of Trader Joe's and the parking structure is free if you purchase something from Trader Joe's. I usually just run in and get a water, but today I decided to try something new! I got a Cliff Mojo Peanut Butter Pretzel Bar. It had 9 grams of protein, so I figured I would enjoy it after Yoga. I am a little confused when it comes to yoga and strength training, if it counts as strength of if only using weights does. Is protein necessary or recommended after yoga? I will have to look into that. I did know I would be hungry after yoga, since I've been pretty hungry after my workouts lately. It was tasty, I didn't love it and couldn't really taste the pretzel, but it was decent.



I was supposed to have a "Cooking Club" this week with my girlfriends. It's where about six of us get together once a month and choose a different "theme". Each girl then brings a different dish, appetizer, main dish, drink, side, dessert. Then we all come to cooking club with our recipe and food item, and eat the meal together, drink wine and chat! It's really fun, but this month was cancelled because everyones schedule got crazy. The theme was supposed to be breakfast food, and I already bought all my ingredients to make the muffins I was excited to try on my Hodgson Mill Oat Bran Box.  Today seemed like a good day to prepare these muffins, anyways! I only made 6 muffins instead of 12, because I didn't know how they would turn out and they were only for me. Also, this is the recipe on the box- but I added flax seeds and fresh blueberries. I am not a chef, and the blueberries made them a little mushy but I thought they still turned out DELICIOUS! I could actually eliminate the brown sugar, and have a VERY healthy muffin! I ate my first two hot out of the oven with a side of Almond Butter. Yum! I want to try different variations to these muffins, I think the oat bran and flax seed combination is a really good mix.




Here is the recipe: (taken from the back of my Hodgson Mill Oat Bran box)
Oat Bran Applesauce Muffins
1/2 cup Brown Sugar packed
1-1/2 cups Oat Bran Cereal
1-1/2 cups Flour
1-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1-1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs or 4 egg whites
1 cup applesauce, chilled
4 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil 

Preheat oven to 400 F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or grease muffin cups. Blend together dry ingredients. Add eggs, chilled applesauce and vegetable oil. Mix well until blended. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Let stand 10 minutes. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12 muffins. 

This was the sunrise on my way to work today. I love when the sky is pretty during my drive! It's the start to a great day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment