Friday, March 11, 2011

Running with music?

I came across this "Running Debate- Running With Music" article via twitter, and it immediately intrigued me.

There are a lot of things I love about running. I love how I can think about everything and nothing at the same time on a run. I am a "running with music" person. However, people often make fun of my music choices on a run. I love to listen to anything from techno to country, to slow music on a run. It really depends on my mood, however this was more when I wasn't training. Since training, more upbeat pump me up music has been on my ipod, but this article really made me think about trying to run without a beat in my head.

I have a friend from highs school, where our friendship revolves around running. He is an amazing athlete, and usually places in marathons. I am considering joining the running club he is involved in, however since high school running has been such a independent thing for me, I'm a little nervous to see how it would be with other people! I love the outdoors, I don't love the gym. With running, I can lace up my tennis shoes be out the door and back in a hour- whereas the gym is a process. Driving there, lockers, people, the whole process doesn't compare to a run. Anyways, my friend has often talked about running without music, and how it's the way to go. While I've tried this, this article makes me want to try it again- just to listen to the way my body feels and what really goes through my head during a run. This was a "con" in the article;

CON One big problem is that listening to music can remove you from the other sounds that running produces, such as breathing and footstrike, which are essential cues... Eventually, you can lose a sense of what might be truly motivating to you, such as the energized feeling you get on the run.

What do I think about when I run? A friend of mine in college once said "I don't think anyone would need to see a psychiatrist if they could learn to run".  I laughed, and think about that statement once in a while. What I really enjoyed about training, is my thoughts would often envision the finish line. Or how excited I was for the actual race, and running under my goal time. Before that I usually just think about what is going on in my life. While that sounds serious, sometimes it is. Sometimes it's not! Sometime's it's just thinking about what I have to do for the day, other times it's thinking about my next move. I remember before moving to Bangkok, my runs would revolve around trying to envision what Thailand would look like, if I'd be lonely, would I make friends? All of these thoughts, yet none could prepare me for the reality of moving to a different country by myself all the way around the world. The reality was better! Running has traveled the world with me, and has been a constant passion in my world of change. 

Interesting. This is definitely an article worth checking out. It's a little cold to lace up today, there is fresh snow on the ground, and it's in the 30's. I am craving Yoga today at Yoga Shelter, and also considering checking out some ExerciseTV workouts. They are free on my comcast (at least most of them), and I have to be creative since I am no longer a member at my local gym. I also want to research "intermediate" half marathon training today, since I am officially NOT a beginner anymore! I will also take a look at marathon training to see what exactly I am getting myself into.

I also need to unpack from my 18 days in Orlando, write a few follow up e-mails, and organize my life to prepare for a new week. 



No comments:

Post a Comment