Wednesday, March 16, 2011

the PERFECT run

Today I experienced "the PERFECT run". It wasn't my fastest time by any means, but I felt like I could go on forever. The weather was a perfect 50 degrees and SUNNY! I wore a long sleeve white Nike fleece, and I was never too cold or too warm. I probably could have pushed myself a little harder to go faster, but this was my first "longer" run since the half marathon and I really wanted to run at a comfortable pace. I listened to mellow songs such as Ben Harper and "She & Him" and didn't look at my pace at all until the end.

I ran 8 miles in 1:33:11. Pace: 11:38

My hip and knee bothered me a little bit at the last few miles, and I considered watching but instead I ran at a very slow pace and finished it and right when I was finished stretching I was good as new. The only problem I had was how long 8 miles really is, I did a huge circle which I thought would be 8 miles and it only ended up being around 6.5, so I had to run around my neighbor hood a few times for the extra mileage. I am really going to need to research the 17 mile run this weekend, where in the world will I go?

Today spring was in the air! The sun was shining, the snow was melting and it just felt like spring. I couldn't help but think how fast the winter has flown by, and how running in fall and now running in spring just feels different. I received my e-mail to register for the Pittsburgh Marathon, so soon I will be a official participant! I saw at my last half a lot of people used "nicknames" on their bibs. I am debating if I should use my real name, or some kind of "nickname".

The rest of the week looks pretty nice here in Michigan as well... the weekend will be a little chillier, maybe I can readjust my runs for the weather?


I came across this article "5 Elements of Chi Running" on Active.com and found it interesting, I tried to incorporate some into my run today. I am scared of injury, but I think I need to stop thinking about it all together, because I truly believe when something is in your mind, it happens. Below are the 5 elements from the article I listed above...

Lean Forward. One of the biggest forces we have to fight every day is gravity. Why not make it work for us instead of against us? By adding a slight forward lean when you run, your body falls forward and you use gravity for your propulsion instead of your legs. This lean also helps keep your body in alignment, with your foot landing under you.
To do this, lean from your ankles, not your waist, and keep your spine straight. The lean is subtle; don't lean so far forward you are out of control or actually falling.

Land on the Mid-Foot. To keep your posture in alignment--which helps reduce injuries--while you're leaning forward, land with a mid-foot strike when you run. You want your foot to land underneath or slightly behind you, in line with your hips and shoulders.

Run from Your Core. Many women I work with suffer from hip problems while running. Often this is caused by weak core muscles, which aren't strong enough to keep the hips and pelvis aligned. To reduce injuries, it's vital to keep your pelvis level. You do this by engaging your core muscles while you run.
To level your pelvis, try this simple exercise: Stand against the wall and try to press your lower back into the wall. Watch what happens to your pelvis. You have to engage your lower abdominal muscles in a vertical crunch movement. Remember that feeling in your body and try to maintain it as you run.

Relax, Relax, Relax. It's common for runners to tighten up their shoulders or other muscles as they get tired. But all that stiffness and tension wastes energy and makes you less efficient. When you feel your technique slipping, ask yourself: Where am I tense, and what can I do about it?
Sense and respond with the correct adjustments, which might be as simple as straightening your arms and shaking them out or reminding yourself to lower your shoulders. In my book, I recommend a series of pre-run body looseners--such as shaking out your arms and legs, ankle rolls and hip and pelvis circles--to help your muscles learn to stay relaxed when you are running and throughout the day.

How hard is it to change your running technique?
Some coaches say you can't change your running form, but I don't believe that for a second. But it does take time to break inefficient habits. So, you'll need to slow down your pace at first to focus on the basics. Practice makes perfect. The more you practice, the quicker you'll learn it. For the average person, it takes one to three months for his or her muscles to learn something new.

Devote at least one run a week to technique. Don't listen to music or talk to a friend; instead, think about your body position and alignment and make adjustments throughout your run to stay relaxed and move efficiently.

Learning ChiRunning is like learning to ride a bike--once you get it, your muscles remember the movement, and it becomes intuitive. You'll feel a difference in your body once you get it. Many women have told me they suffer less hip, back and knee pain once they switch to this technique, in addition to increasing their endurance and speed. Hopefully, you'll be able to run for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment