Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I had good intentions...

My day started out with the saying "Your intuition is your best friend" on my Goji Berry tea from Yogi teas. I really believe this!


With three weeks off of work and daylight savings times, plus a few "life changes" the past few weeks, everything seemed to catch up with me today. I had every intention of starting my training again today and bearing the cold with a brisk 4 mile run. I had a hard time falling asleep again last night, and when I got home from work around 1:20 PM, I had one thing on my mind: catnap! Unfortunately, this catnap turned into a 2.5 hour slumber.

All day it was extra grey outside, but when I woke up it started to rain as well. In my mind I thought it would be a good time to test out the "running without music" experience, since I didn't want to ruin my ipod with rain drops, so I bundled up. I put on black and orange lululemon stretch pants, and a black long sleeve New Balance long sleeve running shirt (actually it's the official 2010 Detroit Half Marathon shirt, my dad gave me after he volunteered at the race). I put on a hot pink headband and long socks I used to wear in high school for lacrosse games! I was ready (or so I thought) for the cold. I even tried a GU Chomp (it was delicious, tasted like a giant gummy bear) in Cranberry Apple for some energy after my snooze, walked outside and made it almost all the way down my block. While I was on my "warm up" walk I was freezing, my glasses were getting fogged up (nerd), and rain was pouring down. I really was NOT enjoying the experience, so I figured I would start tomorrow and go to my nice warm home and do a few Exercise TV workouts. It all worked out! I did a abs and "walking" (lame) one before dinner, and after dinner did a total body toning, standing abs, and hips and thighs. I did about 70 minutes total in TV workout, I like to do short ones and mix them up, rather than do one for a long time.


Tomorrow is a new day, and I have a 8 mile run ahead of me. The weather is supposed to be 50, so basically 15 degrees higher than today. I can live with that ;). I'm really excited, my good friend Hannah is running the San Diego Rock 'n' Roll marathon in June and now I have someone to chat with during the marathon training experience going through the same thing. Although we have different training schedules and goals (mine is only to finish) and hers is speed, it was such a help to have her guide me through my half training it is great she is training now as well! She gets to run in warm San Diego however, while I'm stuck in Michigan. I am going to visit her in California April 15-April 22 and we coordinated our schedules to fit a long run together! I can't wait!

There are a few things I need to look into buying the next few days:
1. Running pack (fanny pack!) for long runs/ races- especially to hold fuel and phone/ etc.
2. A new running watch/ preferably GARMIN! 
3. Water pack/ some way to carry water for long runs I will be encountering
4. Any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment